Apache mod_rewrite is incredibly powerful but it’s also a PITA if you’re trying to do something advanced. Luckily, you can log mod_rewrite’s activities and better understand why your rules aren’t working.
Just add RewriteLogLevel and RewriteLog to your Apache VirtualHost config:
I suggest log level 8 but you can try lower. Logging rewrites will be SLOW: do not enable in production.
Sample rewrite log output:
[perdir /var/www/local.dev/www/] RewriteCond: input='/small/asdfsadf/avatar.jpg' pattern='^(.*)/(.*)/(.*)' => matched
[perdir /var/www/local.dev/www/] RewriteCond: input='/var/www/local.dev/www/small/avatar.jpg' pattern='-f' => matched
[perdir /var/www/local.dev/www/] rewrite 'small/asdfsadf/avatar.jpg' -> '/small/avatar.jpg'
[perdir /var/www/local.dev/www/] internal redirect with /small/avatar.jpg [INTERNAL REDIRECT]
Gnome’s file manager Nautilus does a great job of automatically thumbnailing all kinds of files including pretty much any video file.
But, in a fresh Arch Linux install you still need a few
er packages to enable
totem-video-thumbnailer to do its job… Continue reading “Enable Gnome Video Thumbnails in Arch Linux”
This is not meant to be a thorough report, just the highlights I found relevant related to its recent release.
- Starter is weak (for netbooks) 32-bit only, OEM pre-install only
- Home Basic is for emerging markets (we probably won’t see it in the US much)
- Home Premium is what most consumers will end up with
- Professional is the lowest version to include features such as Remote Desktop Serving, Domain Joining, and Windows XP Mode
- Enterprise is the same as Ultimate but with volume licensing and they both include BitLocker
- Ultimate has all possible features (of course)
Wikipedia detailed Windows 7 Version Comparison Chart
- Supposedly 7 can be installed from a USB drive (without hacking).
- Internet Explorer 8 can pretty much be removed – many parts are integrated into the OS, but the browser can go bye-bye.
- The sidebar is gone but Gadgets remain, and are more efficient and movable.
- There is an overly hyped new taskbar.
Did a fresh install + updates of Kubuntu 8.10 on a customer’s laptop and had no wireless even though it’s an Atheros chipset.
Continue reading “Atheros Wireless in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex”